Hello everyone! Here is my Iron Man MK 50 destroyed helmet. This was a really fun project to make and I'll take you through some of the steps I took. I'm also working on the full Iron Man MK 85 suit and a few other projects. You can follow me on instagram at es.props
This is how I orientated my prints. By printing the helmet this way I reduced some of the supports but also results in some easy post processing work.
I assembled the helmet and cut off some of the back to make it more screen accurate. I then started to sand, sand and then sand some more! I used wood filler on the deep areas like where the supports where and bondo spot putty to get some of the finer areas.
It was then time to prime and sand some more. By this point the whole helmet was as smooth as glass!
Now it's time for some of the electronics. For the right eye I used a prototype board cut to the shape of the eye and soldered tiny leds to it very very carefully. There are four white and one blue led on the right eye. For the left eye it is much easier with just two regular 3mm white leds with one one each side of the eye. I also put a piece of reflective tape over it to try and spread out the light. There are also two yellow leds on the center of the faceplate. I used a Arduino nano to control the light and an Adafruit fx sound board for the audio. The power switch turns everything on and the push button activates the audio. I also have a boost converter to turn up the voltage to 5v but it's probably not needed you can test it out. All this is powered by two 18650 batteries attached to a tp4056 module to recharge them. all the electronics are mounted using velcro so I could easily take them out if I need to work on things.
Thank you for checking out my post! If you liked this or have any questions check out my instagram at es.props