Completed one leg and reassembled. Still have minor touch up and detail paint to do, but came out way better than I expected.
Took the past week off and got all the buckling and final adjustments made. No pictures to show of that as nothing really changed from a visual perspective of wearing it. But with all that being completed, that means that painting has begun. Didn't make nearly as much progress as what I had hoped, but its starting to come together now.
Right arm has all but the hand and inner elbow painted with primary colors.
Here is one of the knees totally painted. Little cleanup needed on them still, but the color combo is fantastic. Little disappointed in the lack of detail on the upper knee. The lower knee has the gold portion protruding outward, yet the upper knee has it protruding inward with only minimal lines on the exterior. Those lines were quickly lost with a couple coats of primer.
This past weekend I was able to trial fit the whole armor set on. It was horribly uncomfortable to say the least, but was able to move in it.
Next items on my list to do are a harness to pull the cod and legs up so they aren't resting on the boots. I need to redo my buckle system on the chest/backpack, right now its in a horrible location that makes it difficult for anyone to get to it. Need to trim maybe an inch all around the thigh up top, SOOOO much pinching happening there. Have plans for elastic with the knees and body, but want to wait to do that after its painted as its a last minute "pull everything together" kind of thing. This was printed at 100% (wish I would have gone with 105%), and comes in at just under 6' 6" tall fully assembled.
Short videos of the movement currently.
You'll have to excuse the portions, my daughter took the video and had it zoomed out so it has that fish bowl effect happening.
Legs are put completely together, given the size of them I was able to put a hinged joint inside and still have my legs fit well enough to be comfortable. Given the length of the thighs, I will be adding a stilt to the inside of the boot of about 2" to 3" so that it all lines up properly. Hoping to get that completed this week so I can officially test fit the entire bottom half and make final adjustments.
Short video of leg joint, still need to add elastic on upper and lower knees to have fluid movement, but will likely add something permanent after its all painted. You can see the length issue in this video and why I need the stilt setup.
Started building Starboost back in early June I believe, wanting to share my progress as I take this journey. Will keep posting updates as it comes along.
Here was the first strap and test fitting I did.
This was the arm before strapping together. I made the inner elbow out of PLA, then took a soldering iron with razor blade and separated the pieces. The glued elastic straps inside so it would hold its general shape and be bendable. Still needs a bit of refinement, but works as well as I would have hoped it would.
I have all but 1 leg, the feet and the neck printed at this point. Don't have a strap system put together as of yet for the cod piece, but that is the next thing I will be working on along with the leg fitment.
Close up of the helmet, is the only part I have fully sanded and painted.
The legs are a work in progress. Definitely an issue with the thigh being out of scale for a normal person. Will work on this leg to make sure I can make it work before proceeding with the other leg. Need to figure out a solution for making the thigh actually fit.