For my first print project, I decided to make the Red Hood helmet from Injustice 2. I tried to print the helmet at a certain angle using custom supports, but something got messed up and the face got messed up:
After that whole fiasco, I sanded it with 60 grit and primed it:
I put some wood filler in the major divots (mouth, forehead, etc), then sanded and primed it again:
After looking for a construction mask and not finding any in stores for months, I finally found a spare mask hiding in my room (*facepalm*). I lightly sanded the helmet to remove any blobs that gathered from the paint. I spray-painted the red onto the helmet, but I made the mistake of doing it right before sundown, where there were millions of mosquitoes flying around and getting stuck to the wet paint. I picked what I could off, but on my way back to the garage after finishing it, I dropped it on the grass:
I had to wait a few days for the paint to completely dry, then I sanded as much of the "wrinkles" out as I could, which revealed some of the primer and print. This accidentally gave the helmet a battle-damaged appearance:
Currently, I'm busy with university, but I plan to give it another coat of red closer to winter to reduce the chance of bugs getting stuck to the helmet. The only thing I can't decide on is whether a brand-new appearance or a battle-damaged appearance looks good. Which would you prefer?
Edit 1: I gave the whole helmet a coat of glossy red, which came out a lot better than the satin red.
After the gloss red paint dried, I taped up the helmet and started to paint the silver parts. (I have no idea what happened with the chunks near the bottom)
I took off the tape only to find that the silver paint leaked through the seams in the tape. I guess I should have added more tape instead of the bare minimum around the parts.
I had to wait for the silver paint to dry, then I sanded down the excess metal around the side and repainted the red by hand. Afterwards, I repainted the silver. It's not the best job, but it works for my first project.
Side note: apparently, metal spray paint can dissolve a plastic cup, which I didn't find out until I started putting everything away (It destroyed the edges, but left the middle of the bottom). I ended up keeping the bottom, which I randomly put back in the cup near the top.
When I finished touching up the metal buckles, I coated the whole helmet with clear gloss spray paint. The results were pretty satisfying, although it had a worse odour than the other paints.
By the next update, I'll have installed magnets and lenses.