This month we've begun building The Mandalorian's Season 2 Beskar costume, with 3D models from DO3D.com.
This costume is made up of several parts - 3d printed armor, leathers, cloth, etc. For the beskar armor pieces we selected these really nice models from DO3D. We had originally printed and finished a helmet based on a free file designed by Rob Pauza which is seen in some photos.
We started by printing the chest piece which was done in a single part on our Creality CR-10S Pro using Hatchbox PLA. Then we printed the ab plate and shoulders. The right shoulder features the "mudhorn signet" which is a defining moment from the end of Season 1 of the show - this piece carries on to Season 2. Season 2 also sees the introduction of a new right thigh plate - we do not know the story behind this piece as of yet, it appears to be part of a droid and not Beskar. DO3D has done a great job modeling this new piece based on only a few photos and we're excited to be ahead of the curve with this cosplay!
Printing the forearms came out really nicely. We used a layer height of .2mm on a .6mm nozzle, 3% gyroid infill and a variety of custom supports.
For finishing the beskar armor, we begin by sanding the bare print. We use a combination of machine sanding with an orbital sander and hand sanding. Once smooth, we coat the print in Rustoleum filler primer and a guide coat. When the primer dries we sand it smooth and it is ready for the ground coat. The best way we've found to achieve a good chrome finish is with a gloss black ground coat. Once the ground coat is cured, we apply the mirror chrome paint and buff gently with a microfiber cloth.
This build consists of many parts - we are still in the process of printing and finishing armor pieces and will update this thread with progress as we go.