Hello everyone! I've had a rather productive weekend, and everything that I have been working on is finally coming together. I thought I'd post about the progress that I've made on my helmet... I printed the helmet entirely in PETG using the awesome file by DO3D,
After a few coats of filler primer, I sanded all the way up to 1200 grit. ( This is key for a step later on)
Next I painted the gold on the faceplate. It was super easy as it was a separate piece. I used this as a tester for the rest of the helmet. It was clear coated in Alclad Aqua Gloss.
Next I sprayed the Grey parts using Tamiya Light Gun Metal. I waited a full week to completely cure, then I taped it off and sprayed the rest of the helmet Gold. This gold was an undercoat for the metallic red. The gold was once again left to cure completely for once full week. The red I used is an automotive paint. It is essentially the Mazda 'Soul Red'. It's super vibrant and extra reflective when clear coated. Although I know this is technically different from the movie version, this colour is so beautiful I couldn't resist using it!
For the clear coat, I just used a spray can of Gloss Lacquer I picked up from my local hardware store. After a few coats, you can see how reflective the paint is! This was the reason I spent all the time sanding to 1200 grit. The smoothness really shines! Sorry about the messy room, haha.
As a little teaser, here is a short video with some LEDs and electronics roughly installed.
I've got a little bit more tinkering to do, but once it's done, I'll be sure to update. Let me know what you think!! Thanks!